We organize different types of events on a more eco-friendly lifestyle - in English - at different locations in and around Brussels. Here are some of the events we have organised or been involved with in the past.
- Friday 05 : Sunbeams, in collaboration with R99 Wine Consulting, invited to a very unique and special wine tasting evening. By joining us for this event, you will not only learn the differences between eco friendly, organic & biodynamic wines by tasting great examples from all over the world, but you will also help a great cause. Profits of this event will go towards the Red Cross for helping survivors following the recent devestating earthquake in Haiti.
- Tuesday 09 - 9h15 am : workshop on eco-labels at the International Montessori School, Savoorke, Bergestraat 24, 3080 Tervuren. If you register, an information pack will be set aside for you.
- Wednesday 10 - 16h30 to 18h00, Audergem : sunbeams crochet class, team member Nickie will teach young people from 12 to 18 years old, as well as interested adults, how to do crochet - all abilities are welcome!
- Thursday 28 - 19h00 to 20h30, Tervuren - sunbeams crochet class, team member Nickie will teach young people from 12 to 18 years old, as well as interested adults, how to do crochet - all abilities are welcome!
- Thursday 28 at 20h30: Energy saving event. Learn easy tips on how to save energy at home. A specialist trained by the IBGE/BIM will answer all your hot questions related to energy savings and investments. Emma Davies of The Bulletin wrote about his presentations in December. Learn easy ways to reduce your energy bill and lower your carbon footprint! Taking place in Ixelles/Elsene. Registration required.
- Sunbeams had a stand at the Christmas market organized by the International Montessori School. Lists and samples plus addresses for eco-friendly presents and wrapping were available.
- Sunbeams had a stand at the welcome day for families organized by the European Commission.
- How to have an eco-friendly holiday season. What can you do to make your celebrations more eco-friendly? Demonstrations on alternatives for wrapping, many ideas on eco-friendly presents and how reduce the eco-footprint of your party dinners. Making this season great with a good conscious, lots of fun and saving some money as well.
- Sumbeams Enegy Challenge - easy tips on how to save energy at home. A specialist trained by the IBGE/BIM will answer all your hot questions related to energy savings and investments. An easy way to reduce your energy bill and lower your carbon footprint.
- Sunbeams had a stand at the Christmas market of the British School of Brussels in Tervuren. Ideas, samples, addresses on eco-friendly presents and wrapping will be available.
- Workshop on Eco-friendly Living in Belgium at the International School of Brussels (ISB), Kattenberg 19, 1170 Brussels, from 13.00-15.00. The workshop focussed on the small steps we can take towards sustainable living through healthy gardening, 'greening' the holiday season, home health and energy efficiency. The event was open to all.
- Weekend 21-22 a weekend organized by Natuurpunt to lend nature a hand. Everyone can help to clear areas, plant plants and trees and have fun at one of the hundreds of activities in nature reserves. More info: www.natuurpunt.be/dagvandenatuur and click on the map to find your nearest activity.
- Week of 21-29 European Week of Waste Reduction. See the article on page 3 of our November 2009 Newsletter.
- Welcome Fair of The Bulletin Group at Area 42. Sunbeams had a stand. More info at www.welcomefair.be
- Expatica Fair at Autoworld (Cinquantenaire/Jubelpark). Sunbeams had a stand. More info at www.expatica.com/iamnotatourist_be
- Workshop on protecting wildlife in Belgium. Two presenters, an ornithologist and a nature lover, gave demos on how to build simple shelters for small creatures, what to feed them in winter time and what you can do for biodiversity in your own garden.
- Parents coffee/tea morning at the International Montessori School in Tervuren “How to get a green start in Belgium”.
- car sharing event to Bioplanet in Mechelen.
- Brussels Environment Fair - sunbeams had a well atttended stand during this annual event.
- European Commission Green Week Conference taking place at the Charlemagne building with info stands, discussions, working groups and panels with high-level speakers.
- Composting Toilet Demonstration organised by the Tervuren Transition Town group.
- Composting Workshop. In a private garden, Tervuren. Informal format, sharing experiences, asking questions. Approx one hour.
- Sunbeams had a stand at the Expatica Fair in Espace 53/Autoworld at the Cinquantennaire.
- Sunbeams was at the European Parliament to greet the newly elected MEPs.
- Visit to the ‘Marché Biologique’ Weekly organic market of Mandala Organic Growers at the Ateliers des Tanneurs. Fruit and vegetables, fruit juice, jams, honey, bread, wine and other organic products. (Rue des Tanneurs 58, 1000 Brussels, open Sunday 10am to 4pm)
- Wednesday 22 April - Earth Day.
- Visit to Bio-Planet supermarket in Mechelen.
- Outing to exhibition ‘C’est notre Terre’ at Tours et Taxis, Brussels.
- Energy saving challenge - how to save electricity, heating and water at your home with small, big and bigger investments.
- Earth Hour - 20:30 - 21:30, Saturday 28 March. Earth Hour 2009 is set to switch off the globe. Already 377 cities, and double the number of countries that participated in 2008, are committed. With hundreds more cities expected to sign up to switch off in the coming months, Earth Hour 2009 is setting the platform for an unprecedented global mandate for action on climate change. earthhour.org and earthhour.be
- Outing to Bio-Planet in Mechelen.
- Energy saving challenge: how to save electricity, heating and water at your home with simple gestures! Initiative of Brussels Environmental Institute - IBGE/BIM.
- Friday 5 - Volunteer get together
- sunbeams was represented at the Social Christmas Fair in the center of Tervuren. Information on the Fair (in Flemish) can be found here.
- Saturday 22 November 10-17h: Sunbeams will be present at the Christmas Fair held by the International Montessori School with info and ideas for original presents (Savoorke, Bergestraat, 3080 Tervuren). We will provide you with lots of ideas and samples of original presents and wrapping, food suggestions and we will do some sales for the Jane Goodall Institute !!!
- 21 November - Volunteer get together (Oudergem)
- 17 November - A Conscientious Holiday Season (or how to splash out and enjoy the holidays with a conscience) at the International Montessori School’s Savoorke location in Tervuren. Based on tour article The Art of Giving and Receiving
- 12 November - Volunteer get together (Oudergem)
- 5 November - Volunteer Recruiting Event
- 25 October - Nature Walk with forest ranger
- 18-19 October - Welcome Fair for expats, participation Sunbeams
- 2 October - Volunteer Recruiting Event